What is CADasCAM?
CADasCAM is a program for designing and creating NC-code. The focus of development is on very easy operation and the connection between construction (CAD) and NC program (CAM). The generation of the G-Code according to DIN 66025 can be adapted in wide parts for the marketable controls. The control of the milling machine itself, including activation of the stepper motors and relays, is not possible with CADasCAM. This requires separate software such as Mach3, WinPCNC or similar
What is different with CADasCAM?
The goal of the development was to program a CAD / CAM system according to your own ideas. It should support creativity in the design and be very easy and intuitive to use. After all, as a model maker, you want to get quick results. Compared to other programs, CADasCAM is characterized by the following features:
- Powerful undo / redo mechanism
- Automatic creation of auxiliary lines as temporary construction aids (Clever Guide)
- Intelligent, context-sensitive snap function (Smart Snap)
- Strong trimming functions and Boolean operations for outlines
- Flexible tree structure for data organization
- Very simple NC programming with tool and cutting data management
What can CADasCAM do?
In the current expansion stage, CADasCAM is essentially a program for 2.5D milling, i.e. for processing sheet material and simple volume geometries. The design and construction is one of the strengths of CADasCAM. The design of components is child's play thanks to the simple operation. Intelligent guidelines and dynamic snap functions support the construction.
The following range of functions is currently implemented:
- Lines, circles, ellipses, Bezier curves, splines
- Trim, fillet, undercut, and chamfer
- Automatic or manual contour generation
- Boolean operations on outlines with and without islands
- complex offset curves
- Mirroring, rotating, rotary / translational multiple copying
- Texts with different engraving fonts
- Measure properties and distances
- Dimensions, tolerances, hatching
- Drawing frames and title blocks
- Texts with engraving or as True Type
- Contour milling with and without radius compensation
- Positioning of holding bars
- Setting of approach and departure arcs
- Pocket milling, contour-parallel or axis-parallel
- Roughing and finishing in one programming
- Drilling cycles
- Material and cutting data management
- Tool memory with stored machining parameters
- Freely configurable G-code post processor
How did CADasCAM come about?
CADasCAM is a private project that was created for the fun of programming. The trigger was a milling machine and an old collection of algorithms for geometric calculations. Surely something can be made of this? From the simple thought and the idea of having most of it already there, the whole thing somehow became independent and in the end it took a full five years. But now it has reached an applicable level, which can be downloaded here.
- Windows-PC with Win7/8/8.1 or Win10
- Mouse with three buttons and scroll wheel or scroll wheel as the middle mouse button
- Graphics resolution ≥ 1280 × 800, ideally 1920 × 1080 with a large screen (≥20 ")
If CADasCAM cannot be started on your computer, the runtime environment of Visual C ++ 2017/2019 may have to be installed. This is included in the installation package (vc_redist.x86).